KELVINBRIDGE · GLASGOW|
TEL 0141 334 0557
While we are far from ones to follow rules and tradition here at Blair and Sheridan, we are also true romantics at heart and love to share in the journey of your bespoke engagement ring and the proposal that follows! Our customers often have an idea in place that they are thinking of asking their partner to marry them. From mountain tops, remote beaches, first date locations, over a romantic dinner… We have heard lots of unique and beautiful stories from our many happy couples. Read on for some inspiration if you are considering ‘popping the question’…
The tradition of going down on one knee (the left knee to be exact!) dates back to medieval times. Knights would bow before noblewomen as a sign of respect, obedience and loyalty. Over time it simply became the courteous thing to do when pledging allegiance and undying love to your partner. Traditions and expectations vary greatly across the world when it comes to a betrothal. Greek tradition dictates that the groom seeks permission from the father of his partner prior to a proposal. The French only wear a ring AFTER the proposal when the happy couple go shopping together for it – even then the ring is presented to the wearer by friends and family.
There is no right or wrong way to ask your partner to marry you but some preparation always helps. Read on for Blair and Sheridan’s top tips and advice on planning the perfect proposal…
1. INSURE THE RING – a lot can happen between collecting the ring and actually popping the question, especially if you are travelling or going abroad. Insurance is a practical peace of mind for any eventuality.
2. NO RING? NO PROBLEM – you may have already proposed sans-ring. It’s not unusual for couples to come and design the engagement ring(s) together. Alternatively use a ‘stunt/dummy’ ring for the proposal.
3. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION – choose your location wisely, places such as the Eiffel tower are popular for proposals but also extremely busy with tourists!
4. NO PRESSURE – only you know your partner best, however, proposing at a family gathering is a lot of pressure and should only be considered if you are sure your partner would be comfortable.
5. BIGGER IS BETTER – when it comes to the size of the diamond then of course budget comes into play… there’s an old ‘tradition’ about how much you should spend on an engagement ring, however, there are no rules and we help you get the best diamond for your money.
6. MUM’S THE WORD – sharing your plans for a ‘surprise’ proposal is never a great idea – most people confide in a close friend or family member but if you tell a lot of people not only do you risk someone spilling the beans, you also put yourself under added pressure!
7. MAKE IT PERSONAL – your proposal needn’t involve a flash mob dance troupe / jaw dropping scenery / a remote mountain top. Its about you and your partner, make it special and unique to you.
8. PHOTO FINISH – if you do decide to go for a grand gesture then perhaps hiring a photographer or asking a friend to capture the moment (discreetly!) would be a good idea.
9. REMEMBER THE WORDS – you may be nervous/excited/emotional – it’s a big moment but remember to actually say the words ‘will you marry me’ and take your time!
10. TAKE A BREATH – congratulations, you asked – they said yes…. now take a moment. Tempting as it is to tell everyone; this is a defining moment for you as a couple…. take it in.
At Blair and Sheridan we specialise in unique bespoke diamond rings and jewellery. Whether you know exactly what you are looking for or need a bit of guidance – we will help you create the perfect engagement ring for your big moment. Furthermore, we take you through the entire process from initial drawings and ideas through to the finished design. We will explain everything you need to know about diamonds and Lab Grown diamonds helping you come to an informed decision about every aspect of your unique engagement ring.
Be inspired by our extensive range of unique, bespoke engagement rings on our online galleries. Explore everything from classic diamond solitaires to coloured stone, mixed metal, trilogy, halo design engagement rings. Get in touch with Blair and Sheridan today to make your appointment for a personalised design consultation.